Independent Bookmakers | Best online bookies in 2023
One nation has joined the vast, worldwide trend of regulating internet gambling in recent years. Due to this, bookies that follow the regulations of rigorous regulators have had to place stringent limitations on their customers. But an increasing number of gamblers find those limitations intolerable. As a result, they choose independent bookmakers with offshore licences. The advantages of using such bookmakers are numerous. They feature generous bonuses and promos, accept credit cards and cryptocurrency deposits, and have lenient ID verification requirements. However, not all of them are legitimate, as some employ their own dubious terms and procedures and fail to adhere to a fair resolution policy when it comes to player complaints. To help you choose which independent bookmakers are the most dependable, we go above and beyond.
The workings of independent bookmakers
Offshore bookmakers known as independent bookmakers are mostly situated in Curacao, Panama, and Costa Rica. None of the licencing authorities in Europe have any jurisdiction over them. In order to encourage socially responsible gaming, the major European gambling authorities have recently tightened their licencing standards and placed onerous limitations on its licensees. For instance, bettors are only eligible for one bonus per sportsbook in Sweden. In Germany, bookmakers charge a 5% tax on players’ earnings, and spread betting is not permitted at any licenced bookmaker in France.
Along with the stricter rules come greater licencing costs and an increase in operator taxes. This caused several bookies to go independent since they can’t bear the expense of complying. Additionally, independent sportsbooks do not adhere to the regulations of the major European regulatory bodies since they are unwilling to follow their tight marketing regulations and bonus-related conditions.
How do we evaluate and rank the top online independent bookies?
Because we aim to give our readers the most accurate and current information possible, we have conducted all of our ratings in a professional and objective manner. You won’t miss a single promotion or bonus from the top UK bookies since we list all of them and briefly assess them.
Nearly all online bookmakers with UK licences offer comparable features and betting opportunities, but what sets the excellent from the bad are the odds, bonuses, and deals (as well as the calibre of the customer assistance).
Before suggesting an online bookmaker, the following factors are the most crucial to us:
- The Sign-Up Process – They say that first impressions are important, and that is certainly true of websites. This is the first thing you must do on any website. The finest websites will feature an easy-to-use sign-up procedure that only requires a few basic facts to get an account started. Any further information will be requested as needed later on.
- The financial aspect, including deposits and withdrawals – Trying to make a deposit is the next challenge you have to go through before you can start placing bets. The top websites will provide all the standard debit card alternatives (credit card deposits were just outlawed) in addition to the most popular e-wallets, including PayPal, Neteller, and Skrill. In addition to this, the absolute finest websites will also provide MuchBetter and Trustly Online Banking.
The issue of withdrawing is the opposite side of the coin and could be the most crucial element of all since if you can’t accomplish that, then everything else is useless. The finest sites will quickly and readily make payments to extremely high limits using a wide variety of different ways; some bookies even make payments practically instantaneously. A bookmaker would lose credibility if they started requiring onerous ID checks, took a long time to process withdrawals, limited the amount that could be withdrawn, or even charged a fee to withdraw money.
- The Odds – Once you are up and running, the odds that are offered will determine whether you make money over the long term or lose it. Being adept at selecting winners is one thing, but you can only benefit if you are using odds that are of value. Even if making a profit is not your primary goal and you are gambling for entertainment purposes only, odds are still essential since you will enjoy yourself more if you are offered 5/1 rather than 9/2 for your bets. The odds that each bookmaker offers will vary depending on the market and the outcomes they favour. These odds will also alter over time, but generally speaking, the top bookmakers will have a margin of no more than 5%.
- The selection of betting options (Lines comparison) – on our “rating by odds” page, you can find a list of the top bookmakers in the UK ranked by odds and lines. When betting, getting the greatest odds or lines is essential since it may increase your earnings. We aim to save you time by not having to compare odds, and we also want to provide you with the greatest odds and lines offered by the finest UK bookmakers.
- Bonuses and promotions – Bookmakers are aware of the importance of this additional component. The most recent and finest offers are shown on our “ranking by bonus” page, together with the wagering requirements for each bonus and any applicable Terms & Conditions. To be completely assured of the deal you will receive, always double-check what the bookmaker page states before making a deposit. Offers can and do change regularly.
- Mobile betting – Nowadays, fewer individuals than ever before use desktop computers to browse the internet. When you are gambling while on the go, the quality of a website’s mobile version or, even better, their dedicated App, will make all the difference. It may make the difference between a fun gambling experience and a nightmare to be able to navigate quickly to your favourite markets and effortlessly place the bets you want to. Each menu should be easily scrollable, the top section should contain the key sports, and any “extra” pictures and visuals should be minimised to allow for easier navigation. If there is an option to “cash out” bets, it must strike a balance between being readily available and being challenging to use accidentally.
- In-play wagering Over the past few years, the “In-play” betting markets, or “live betting,” as it is also known, have grown immensely popular among bettors. Many of them are now looking for extra features like live statistics as the game is happening and the option to “Cash Out” bets based on how the game is progressing. It’s crucial to have odds that hold steady for a reasonable period of time since nothing is more annoying than trying to place a wager only to keep hearing that the odds have changed and need to be resubmitted. The availability of “Live Streams” to view the sports on which you have made bets is related to “In Play” betting. It is also helpful if they can be watched flawlessly throughout the game without any hiccups.
- Customer support – You don’t want to waste time attempting to resolve a problem, thus the quality of the customer support services is crucial. If there is a live chat function, it should reply quickly and be handled by a real person rather than merely an AI, which is seldom, if ever, able to truly assist. You may read our bookmaker reviews and visit our page on “rating by in-play betting” to obtain all this information.
Essential qualities for UK Independent bookmakers
In the United Kingdom, offering betting services without a licence is a crime, as it should be in every other country on the planet. The UK Gambling Commission must provide this licence once a bookmaker satisfies a few conditions.
The UKGC website lists all of the authorised UK bookmakers, however each one should have all of their licencing information available there. Additionally, the UK Gaming Commission’s primary objective is to make sure that all bookmakers actively encourage responsible gambling.
The currencies that the UK-based online bookies allow are a crucial factor. The Great British Pound serves as the primary currency for all of the finest online bookmakers in the UK, while some also take its counterpart in other currencies, such as Euros or US Dollars. Any UK bookmaker should accept deposits made in British Pounds, whether they are done using credit cards, debit cards, or electronic wallets (GBP).
Last but not least, the additional features offered by online bookies combined with alluring promotions and incentives A credible bookmaker may be distinguished from an ordinary one by offering high-quality customer support services. An online bookmaker’s primary priority should be customer care because it’s essential to maintain the best possible client connection.
Benefits of Independent Bookmakers
Those who choose independent online bookies may take full advantage of their key benefits, including their easy ID verification procedure, plenty of bonuses, tax-free earnings, and few limits. So let’s examine each of their advantages in more detail.
Lax identity standards: Since they do not hold a licence from a primary regulator, they do not follow tight standards for identification. Additionally, they don’t demand a laborious age verification procedure. They essentially have KYC policies that are quite convenient. Additionally, they permit players to fund their accounts and wager before they can get their IDs verified. They are also known as non-KYC bookies or No verification bookmakers since they don’t demand identity checks or payment ID verification upon registration.
Multiple bonuses: Bettor incentives extend beyond the first welcome bonus with non-EU licenced operators. As a result, they provide a variety of alluring bonus offers and promotions to both new and existing players. Additionally, they do not impose any bonus limits on their customers, even if they are said to exhibit indicators of compulsive gambling.
Higher odds and bonuses: Since independent betting sites are exempt from bonus laws, they can give larger bonuses. This really indicates that their bonus offers are frequently superior to those of operators who possess licences from important European regulatory bodies. Additionally, their probabilities are more favourable.
Permit credit card deposits: Independent bookmakers give customers a variety of deposit options. So they also take credit cards in addition to e-wallets, mobile payments, direct bank transfers, and debit cards. This is excellent news, particularly for British bettors.
No tax on wins: Gains derived from independent internet bookmakers are tax-free, in contrast to the EU-licensed sportsbooks that frequently charge their bettors’ winnings. This implies that whatever money you gain when you wager on them is yours to keep.
Accepting cryptocurrency transactions is not advised by the main European gaming regulators. As a result, only a small number of their licensees provide them as a deposit alternative. However, independent sportsbooks provide immediate cryptocurrency deposits. The time it takes for Blockchain to confirm the transaction is no more than 15 minutes. The same is true for withdrawals, which are handled immediately. But keep in mind that it can take up to one working day for your initial withdrawal to go through all the appropriate procedures. The key advantages of cryptocurrencies are the anonymity they provide and the lack of player fees. The lone exception is because to their extremely cheap miner fees. However, bookmakers do not use them.
Less limitations: Since standalone sportsbooks are authorised outside of their home countries, there are relatively few national regulations. Unlike bookmakers that hold European licences. More particular, they provide players more flexibility when betting online in regards to payment-related restrictions and bonus limits that are present in a number of European nations.
Online independent bookmakers’ drawbacks
Not all independent online sportsbooks are trustworthy and treat bettors fairly. Many online casinos may utilise obnoxious terms and conditions when it comes to bonus requirements and fail to address player concerns. So let’s examine each of their drawbacks in depth.
shady language and behaviour: Due to the fact that such bookmakers are independent businesses, they enforce their own laws and restrictions rather than those set by a reputable gambling regulatory body. Therefore, both their bonus and promotion terms as well as their basic terms & conditions are not often particularly clear. That might frequently result in miscommunication with bettors.
Lack of transparency in the resolution of complaints: Independent internet bookmakers do not adhere to established protocols for handling complaints, in contrast to betting companies certified by respected European agencies. As a result, they frequently do not give bettors instructions on how to register a complaint. Additionally, they don’t provide a remedy within a set time range. But the majority of them work with IBAS. So, if necessary, bettors may take their grievances to the next level there.
Player safety concerns: Standalone bookmakers receive a poor score for safeguarding gamblers with significant gambling issues. In actuality, they are incompatible with player protection mechanisms. Therefore, bettors may only get in touch with their bookmaker’s customer service team and inquire about self-exclusion. Additionally, there is a dearth of fraud protection. This implies that your financial security is not assured if you are ultimately duped.
Certain payments are exempt: If you choose a private online bookmaker, you can find that not all common payment methods are accepted for transactions. For instance, British-operated offshore betting websites do not accept PayPal. Furthermore, independent bookmakers who operate in the Swedish market do not accept deposits made through PayPal or Trustly. Additionally, bookmakers licenced outside of the EU do not provide Sofort.
How to fund your account at Independent bookmakers
The most common banking alternatives are utilised by all UK online bookies. It goes without saying that debit and credit cards like Visa, Mastercard, or Maestro are the most common payment options. However, you may often use any well-known e-Wallet payment option, including Skrill, NETELLER, PayPal, Paysafe, Revolut, and bank transfers.
Do take heed! Typically, deposits made via eWallets cannot be used to fulfil bonus requirements. Additionally, UK bookies will have a minimum deposit requirement, which is often £10, but you can learn more about this by reading our evaluations of different bookmakers. Another crucial piece of information is that the bookies need any money that is withdrawn to be returned to the original deposit source. This implies that if you used Skrill to make a deposit, you can only withdraw money back into Skrill.
Most UK online bookies won’t charge you anything for deposits, and the same is true for withdrawals. Additionally, a few bookmakers provide free bets or free spins without making a deposit, so you don’t need to do so to take advantage of promotions like free bets or risk-free bets.
Independent Bookmakers – Multiple Sportsbooks
It is undoubtedly advantageous to have accounts on many betting websites since you can test out different features and compare odds across different bookmakers. It’s a mistake to stick with a single bookmaker since you won’t obtain the greatest deals and can’t therefore optimise your chances of winning. Additionally, certain bookmakers can provide greater incentives, promotions, and customer service, among other things.
Because of this, we at Legalbet.uk have chosen to provide distinct ratings for each bookmaker in the event that you’re looking for the greatest deals, odds, or features. Since diversity is beneficial, we suggest our readers to sign up for many betting sites. It’s preferable to be able to receive the greatest rates and incentives available, since some bookies, for instance, provide specific football betting accumulator promotions, while others will give higher odds in the golf outright markets.
Independent Bookmakers – Which are the brand new ones
In order to take advantage of freshly licenced sportsbooks’ advantages, many bettors are continually searching for them. In comparison to bookmakers with an EU licence, new independent bookmakers in particular offer substantially larger welcome bonuses and greater promos. Furthermore, they provide faster payout times and greater odds. Since 2017, every new independent bookmaker we highlight on our review has an internet presence. In addition, emerging independent betting sites are well-known for their alluring incentives and wide selection of cryptocurrency possibilities.
Independent Bookmakers – Conclusion
There is no denying that players benefit greatly from independent bookies’ enormous benefits. First of all, they provide you the option to easily join up and begin gaming. They also run daily specials and provide fantastic welcome incentives. Additionally, there are extremely high odds on a variety of athletic events. They also accept deposits made using credit cards and cryptocurrency. As a result, they provide for both novice and seasoned gamblers. However, a few of them have proven to be con artists. They engaged in bonus fraud, denied player reimbursements, and abruptly cancelled players’ accounts, which is why this happened. Therefore, stay away from any shady standalone bookmakers you may come across online and stick to the ones we’ve reviewed.
An independent bookmaker is what?
Independent bookmakers are non-EU regulated sportsbooks that welcome European bettors. They are often situated in Curacao, Panama, and Costa Rica. They should not be confused with self-described independent bookmakers that own betting shops in Great Britain, including Joe Jennings and Bet McLean.
Are independent gambling websites legitimate?
Due to the fact that they all possess offshore licences, all independent sports betting sites that are included in our evaluation are legitimate. They give bettors quick registration options and a variety of perks. Additionally, they allow payments made with credit cards and cryptocurrencies and come with extremely high odds.
Are independent sportsbooks licenced by any organisation?
Even while standalone bookmakers may not have licences from any of Europe’s major regulatory organisations, the majority of them nevertheless operate under a licence. More precisely, some have gaming licences from the Curacao gambling commission, while others have licences from Panama.
Is it secure to register with a stand-alone betting site?
The independent bookmakers included on our review are safe to join and operate lawfully with offshore licences. However, there are a lot of independent operators that are either completely unlicensed or thought to be frauds. Additionally, a large number of them provide rigged games and are notorious for not fulfilling their players’ wagers.
A: If I wager with a stand-alone bookmaker, will I receive my winnings?
Yes, you will in the majority of cases. More precisely, if you choose one of the standalone bookmakers we suggest, you will receive them. Your gains won’t be assured, though, if you decide to place a wager at an unaffiliated sportsbook that you happen to come upon online.
I won some money; do I have to pay taxes on it?
No, gains from independent bookies are not subject to taxation. This is but one of the numerous advantages they provide, though. So, bear in mind that they provide a variety of cryptocurrencies, excellent odds, many bonuses, and few limits.
How are odds calculated by internet bookmakers?
Bookmakers first base their odds on the trading department’s predictions utilising historical data entered into their own algorithms to calculate the expected likelihood of each result. They then add their margin to this, which lowers the odds. It is possible for them to keep these odds once the market is open, but it is more typical for them to change based on how much is being wagered on each event.
Does the mobile app of online bookies exist?
The great majority of UK bookies will have a mobile app by 2022, but not all will have one and they are not required to if they choose not to. The choices are displayed and discussed on our website for the mobile app.
Do I need to pay taxes on my winnings from gambling?
In the UK, gambling profits from personal internet accounts are not subject to taxes, regardless of how much you win or if you gamble professionally.